How to Convert to a Saltwater Pool
Are you ready to convert a chlorine pool to a saltwater pool? Converting a pool from chlorine to a saltwater system is much simpler than you might expect. Here’s how you can get a luxurious saltwater swimming pool in just 8 simple steps.
*We recommend having your salt chlorination system manual handy.
8 Steps to Converting Your Pool to Saltwater
- Balance the water in your pool according to your installation manual specifications.
- Note: You do not need to drain your pool.
- Add the required amount of pool-grade salt to achieve the desired concentration. Salt quantity is based on the volume of water in your pool. The bigger the pool, the more salt is needed.
- Broadcast the salt across the pool surface – it may take up to 24 hours to fully dissolve.
- Note: Consult your installation manual. The manual should provide a table detailing the amount of salt required. Click here to view our guide to salt chlorination.
- Mount the chlorinator controller on a wall near your pool equipment pad. Make sure to consult the installation manual for the best results.
- Wire the chlorinator controller for power according to the manual specifications.
- Install the chlorinator cell into the pool plumbing after the filter.
- Note: The chlorinator cell should be the last piece of equipment on the pool pipe before the water returns to the pool.
- Connect the chlorinator cell to the chlorinator controller. That’s it for the pool equipment!
- Turn on the pool pump, check for any leaks, and operate it for several hours to help circulate the water and dissolve the salt.
- Turn on the salt chlorinator and start enjoying your saltwater pool!
Once you have converted to a saltwater swimming pool, continue maintenance as usual. This will help to assure clean, clear water and extend the life of your pool equipment.
How Does a Salt Chlorinator Work?
Salt chlorinators convert salt into a self-regenerating supply of pure chlorine for soft and safe water. Hayward’s salt chlorination systems convert dissolved salt into the perfect amount of chlorine for your pool. Our systems create water that is silky-smooth and sanitized for a pleasant, healthful swimming experience for your family.
Here’s how it works: You add pool-grade salt to your pool and wait until it dissolves. Power is applied to the saltwater chlorinator to convert the dissolved salt into chlorine. Fresh, pure chlorine-treated water is returned to the pool for complete sanitization and swimming comfort. It’s as simple as that!
Hayward’s salt chlorination systems, like the Aquarite S3, are less work for pool owners, are easier on your family’s budget, and are a more convenient sanitization method than traditional chemical chlorine sanitization. Explore more about the benefits of salt chlorination for your pool at “Advantages of Saltwater Pools.”
Enjoy your Salt Water Pool
Begin your saltwater pool transformation today! With Hayward’s advanced salt chlorination system, you can effortlessly convert your traditional chlorine pool into a luxurious saltwater oasis and relish the many benefits of saltwater chlorination right in the comfort of your own backyard. Choose from a variety of Hayward’s top-of-the-line models and make the switch to a better way of pool maintenance.
Contact your local Hayward Dealer today to learn how you can create an optimal saltwater pool experience.