Pool water testing is important in order to achieve and maintain a sanitary and well-functioning pool. The timespan for testing your pool water depends on how heavily or how lightly your pool is being used along with the daily air and water temperature. It also depends on the specific test being done. As a pool owner, you should be testing for:
- Chlorine sanitizes your pool water and should be checked between 2 to 3 times a week. Free chlorine is the most important test as this tells you available chlorine for sanitizing
- Check your pH just as frequent as you check your chlorine balance, 2 to 3 times a week. By keeping your pH balanced your chlorine will stay at its highest level of effectiveness
- Total Alkalinity
- This should be tested once a week as the stability of this test influences the stability of your pH levels
- Calcium Hardness
- Calcium harness should be tested once a month. This tends to fluctuate due to local water and chemicals added to your pool.
- Total Dissolved Solids (chemical reactions, dust, pollen, wastes)
- If this level is too high, it can disturb the efficiency of your pool chemicals. This is why these levels should be checked on a monthly basis as well.
- Every 3-4 months you should test for metals (copper, iron, manganese). Metals can cause staining if left in your water. If you detect metals in your water, the source should be determined if possible and they should be removed. Now that you are informed on the frequency of when to test your pool water, the following is a guide to what your results should look like.
Salt level shown in the chart above is for those who have Hayward Salt Chlorination systems other than low salt systems. Your local pool professional is the best place to have your water tested on a regular basis. There you can have a professional analysis, and get the chemicals you need to ensure the cleanliness of your pool and life of your equipment. Replace testing chemicals and strips as needed according the manufactures recommendations. Click here to find a local dealer to have your water professionally tested!