Did you know it’s always a great idea to inspect your Hayward TurboCell for calcium build up before it’s put into operation? Leaving calcium deposits on the internal TurboCell plates can actually lessen your TurboCell’s effectiveness at producing chlorine and can ultimately shorten its lifespan.
For optimum TurboCell operation and longer life, you should inspect your TurboCell approximately every 3 months of operation, or 500 hours, and clean the cell if necessary. TurboCell cleaning frequency will be dependent on several factors such as pH, calcium hardness levels of your pool water and hours of operation. The pH and calcium hardness levels are the two factors that have the greatest impact on how often your TurboCell will require cleaning. Calcium buildup (or scale), is one of the most common and serious challenges in salt chlorinated pool maintenance, partly because it typically forms first on the salt cell plates where it can remain undetected until the problem advances. Once scale forms, it lessens the effectiveness and life span of the salt cell, which can lead to premature cell replacement.
Our Hayward Aqua Rite salt chlorination system, the world’s #1 salt chlorinator, has a built in reminder to inspect and clean the cell every 500 hrs. This salt chlorinator is the convenient alternative to conventional chlorine, bringing your pool the very best in soft, silky water with no more red eyes, itchy skin, or harsh odors.
How to Clean Your Hayward Salt Chlorinator Turbo Cell:
- Turn off the power to the system and deactivate the pool pump before removing the Turbo Cell.
- Remove the Turbo Cell. Once removed, look through the cell and inspect for scale formation (light colored crusty or flaky deposits) on the plates and for debris that is caught on the plates. If no deposits are visible, reinstall the cell.
- If deposits are seen, use a high pressure garden hose to flush the scale off.
- If a high pressure hose does not remove the majority of deposits, then use a mild acid wash. Be sure to wear rubber gloves and appropriate eye protection. In a clean plastic container, mix a 4:1 solution of water to muriatic acid (one gallon of water to one quart of acid).
Caution: ALWAYS ADD ACID TO WATER – NEVER ADD WATER TO ACID.
- Fasten the Turbo Cell to Cell Cleaning Stand with the cord side down. Before filling Turbo Cell with muriatic acid solution, place a container underneath to avoid any spills. Fill the Turbo Cell to the top with the solution and let soak for 15 minutes. Empty the Turbo Cell and inspect. If clean, rinse with hose and reinstall. If there are still deposits after soaking, repeat the soaking procedure until clean. The water/muriatic acid mixture can be stored for later use or it can be disposed of. Follow the chemical manufacturer’s recommendations when storing or disposing the water/acid solution.
- Reinstall the Turbo Cell. Press the small diagnostic button next to the display for 3 seconds to stop the flashing Inspect Cell LED and reset the countdown timer for another 500 operational hours.
Locate A Dealer Near You for assistance.