Would you like help in understanding your pool? Are you a new pool owner or thinking about building your dream pool? You’ve come to the right place!
At Hayward, consumers reach out to us every day with questions about pool ownership. They know we are passionate about pools. We’re excited to help families enjoy a trouble-free pool experience and an improved lifestyle. Not only that, but we bring the best in technology to pool owners, with energy-efficient and cost-saving products. These are just a few of the many reasons Hayward was named EPA ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year.
Understanding your pool is not that difficult. Let’s dive in!
How a Swimming Pool Works
So, how DOES a swimming pool work? Understanding your pool can be very helpful to new pool owners, so you can feel confident about maintaining it in top condition. Let’s explore how a pool works in more detail.
The pool circulation system has many parts that work together to collect, treat, and return clean, safe water to your pool. The circulation system includes the pool pump and a network of valves, skimmers, drains, and returns:
1. Water is drawn from the pool via the main drain and skimmer(s) using suction created by the pool pump.
2. The skimmer has a basket that captures debris before it reaches the pump’s impeller.
3. The pump generates pressure which circulates water through a filter to catch any additional debris.
This system of collection, filtration, and return of pool water is repeated over and over to maintain a healthy, sparkling pool.
Swimming Pool Equipment
- Pool pump – The heart of the pool, a pump circulates the pool water. Energy-efficient variable-speed pumps save money and energy and are quieter than single-speed models. They pay for themselves in two years with energy savings. Learn more about Hayward pumps, the most energy-efficient pumps available.
- Filter – The lungs of the pool, a filter removes debris from the water to keep the pool clean. There are three types of filters: Diatomaceous Earth (DE) filters, Cartridge filters, and Sand filters. In each case, the filter cleans the water, while allowing for efficient flow. Learn more about Hayward filters.
- Heater – A heater warms the pool or spa water, extending the swimming season into the cooler months. Natural and propane gas heaters regulate and maintain the perfect water temperature. Heat pumps use heat from the air to maintain the ideal temperature (warm or cool) throughout the swimming season. Learn more about Hayward heaters and heat pumps.
- Lights – Pool, spa, and backyard lights enhance your backyard experience with enhanced ambiance. In addition, lights add safety and security to your backyard environment. Lights are available in white or colors in multiple brightness levels and they can be automatically controlled. Learn more about Hayward lighting.
- Sanitization – Sanitization helps to keep your pool water in healthy and usable condition. It can be automated via a chemical feeder or it can be done manually. Saltwater sanitization turns ordinary salt into a self-regenerating supply of chlorine. Read about the Benefits of Salt Water Pools. Learn more about Hayward sanitization.
- Automation – Automation conveniently and reliably controls pool and spa equipment. It allows you to manage and control nearly every feature of your pool, spa, and yard from your smartphone. Learn more about Hayward automation.
- Cleaner – Cleaners vacuum and scrub the floor, walls, and coves of the pool. There are three automatic cleaner technologies: robotic, suction side, and pressure side. Cleaners either work with your pool’s filtration system or completely independently. Learn more about Hayward pool cleaners.
- Water Feature – Water features add sound and visual beauty to a pool. You can create dramatic, special effects with deck jets, sheers, laminars, and bubblers. In addition, they can be combined with lighting for really stunning effects. Learn more about Hayward water features.
Understanding your pool has many benefits. Take it one step further by contacting your local Hayward Dealer for helpful information and advice. You can also find local pool professionals on our website Dealer Locator. Visualize your in-ground dream pool, plan your budget, and get inspired at MyDreamPool.com.